I thought it would be helpful to have the locations of the files that
makeup a site definition on a SharePoint server.
Why post this: several times, I have had to copy/move site
definitions, that I did not develop, to other servers.
Things to note:
–> c:\…\ means c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web
server extensions\60\TEMPLATE–> Each language pack uses a different folder name (i.e. 1033 = English)
Site definitions can use style sheets located here:
The style sheets can use images located here:
The site definition folder is located here:
The site definition XML file is located here:
There may be some images used by the site definition here:
I also found a post on Prince
Joel’s Weblog with someone’s answers (I am not sure who gave the
answer). However, there are some things I disagree with, but most of
it is correct when thinking of SharePoint when it comes
I found these questions on Tim Heuer’s Weblog
What SharePoint consultants Ought to Know
Everyone who can spell SharePoint
* what is SharePoint?
* what is the difference between SharePoint Portal Server and
Windows SharePoint Services?
* what is a document library?
* what is a meeting workspace?
* what is a document workspace?
* what is a web part?
Mid-level SharePoint Consultant
* what is the difference between a document library and a form library?
* what is a web part zone?
* how is security managed in SharePoint?
* how are web parts developed?
* what is a site definition?
* what is a template?
* how do you install web parts?
* what is the difference between a site and a web?
* what are the differences between web part page gallery, site
gallery, virtual server gallery and online gallery?
* what is the GAC?
* what is a DWP?
* what is CAML?
* what are themes?
* what is presence?
* can web parts be connected? if so, how?
* what is a personal view and what is a shared view?
* what is an STP file?
* what is an FWP file?
* can you upload MP3’s to SharePoint?
* how does SharePoint support MS Outlook integration?
* how can you extend lists in SharePoint?
* explain the document versioning in SharePoint document libraries
Senior SharePoint Consultant
* where are web part resources contained?
* what are the different installation methods for deploying web
parts? and what are the pros/cons?
* what is a ghosted/unghosted page?
* how is site data stored?
* where is metadata for a web stored?
* what is an audience and describe the use?
* what are the trust levels and what is the default trust
associated with SharePoint?
* what are the two logging mechanisms for usage statistics?
* what functionality does owssup.dll provide for client side activities?
* what is the difference between a site owner and a site administrator?
* what is STSAdm and what can it be used for?
* can WSS search subsites?
* can you register alerts for users?
* are PDFs searchable?
* what is a SharePoint farm?
* describe a large deployment
* how can you synchronize custom Active Directory attributes to SharePoint?
* if it is anticipated that our organization would need to store 1
terrabyte of documents, what is the recommended configuration and
* describe the implementation of SharePoint and Project Server
* what are the BKMs for workflow and SharePoint?
* explain how you would deploy SharePoint on an extranet
* what is the BKM for maximum number of virtual servers configured
for SharePoint on a single box?
* what are the migration strategies for moving sites around?
* what are the archiving strategies?
* describe the search strategies
* can you implement forms-based authentication with SharePoint?
* describe how single sign-on works
Found this pretty good blog entry about displaying usernames on
Blog on Username display
Discussion on how opening/editing a WSS or SPS2003 site in FrontPage
2003 un-ghosts the site (places the site’s definition into the SQL
database instead of keeping the reference to the one on the server).
This can be very bad for performance!
Good TechNet article on how SharePoint uses access logs (it is
actually a chapter from the Microsoft SharePoint Products and
Technologies Resource Kit which you can find here:
Short article about custom templates:
Microsoft support article