Cannot Connect to the Meeting: Live Meeting

Today I experienced some issues with Office Communicator 2007 R2 and Live Meeting 2007. First, Communicator was complaining about not being able to update the address book. Then, when I tried to start a meeting using Live Meeting (via the Meet Now function), I received the following error:


When I looked to find some hints to the “Live Meeting cannot connect to the meeting.” message online, all the posts were pointing to issues with trying to connect to an external meeting. I was trying to connect to my internal Office Communications Server.

I next tried to do a nslookup on the FQDN for the server and I received a reply message that it was a non-existing domain! Well, there’s your problem!

I took a look in DNS and the SIP entries for the service were all in tact, but the A record for the server in the Forward Lookup Zone was missing! I do not know why/how it was removed, but I quickly added it back and now all is well with OCS.

Access Denied Message When Trying to Edit Properties of a List or Library Item

I created a new Office SharePoint Server 2007 Web Application a few months back and moved our existing sites around to create a new structure in the new Web Application. I did this to move all the project sites under one ‘roof’ and get things more organized. At the time, we were a little behind the curve on patching SharePoint. We were on version 12.0.0.6327, which is SP1 plus the August 2008 Cumulative update.

When new sites were created though, users were unable to edit the properties of anything they added to the site, whether a document or list item. As the SharePoint farm administrator, I received the Access Denied message as well when trying to edit the properties. The Access Denied message was also received when attempts were made to edit the properties of items within newly created Lists or Libraries on existing sites. Items could be added and deleted, but not edited.

While doing some research (see Technet Forums and Odole blog), I ran across several sites saying this was a known issue that is fixed in the February 2009 Cumulative update (for MOSS and WSS 3.0). I was told by Microsoft support after contacting them (see below) that the root cause is ACL corruption when the sites are moved.

After installing Service Pack 2 (for MOSS and WSS 3.0), and the latest Cumulative update (February 2010), the issue was not resolved for existing sites; but I expected this behavior. I contacted Microsoft support to obtain an executable (not publically available) that would fix the existing sites. After running the executable, the existing sites were all fixed and when I created a new site, it did not have the issue.

A screenshot of the fix program in action:

ListFixer

Recover Password From The IIS Metabase

I recently needed to add an account to an IIS6 Application Pool, but I did not know the password. No one else knew the password either.

However, I found out that the account was being used by an IIS6 application pool on another Windows Server 2003 machine. So I loaded the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit Tools, which includes the lovely tool “Metabase Explorer”.

After I launched the Metabase Explorer application, I navigated my way to the application pool that was using the password I needed to obtain. Select the option to “View Secure Data” and bingo! there is the password.

Download the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit HERE